Saturday, November 28, 2009

Black Friday 2009

Well, here is the story of this year's Black Friday adventure. It all began Thanksgiving Day...well, come to think of it, it actually began about a month ago, as the 1st BF ads got leaked, and I began my planning. But Thanksgiving was when we finalized the game plan. My assignments: Old Navy, Sears, Target, Kohls. Angie and mom started out at Toys R Us a bit before Midnight, which is also when I got in line at Old Navy...

So when I got to ON about a quarter til midnight (they opened at 3 am), I was about 10th in line. They were giving away a "limited" number of free Lego Rock Band games for the various gaming systems, and we really wanted one for the Wii. I felt that 10th in line was a good place. After Angie finished at TRU, she came and got in line w/ me (she wanted a game for the Wii too). I think she got there around 1:30 or so. I had a chair set out for her the entire time, so that everybody knew there would be 2 of us. No complaints when she joined me. Then, around 2:15, the 2 people at the front of the line started letting LOTS of their friends join them at the front...not just 1 more person, but at least 10 extra people, so now I was sitting about 20th from the front. At 2:30, the ON people came out to hand out the wrist bands to the people in the front of the line (different colors for each gaming system). Me and Angie got the last 2 wristbands for Wiis. So glad that I decided not to take the time to shave my legs before going to get in line that night...

So me and Angie waited in line for 30 more minutes for the store to open. The line stretched from the doors at ON, down the sidewalk, past the dollar store, and all the way to Kohls. Lots of people...As we waited, we noticed that some people who got there just minutes before the store opening were gathering in the parking lot, and when they opened the doors to ON, those late-comers stormed the doors (cutting in front of 100's of people who got there before them), and caused a major mosh-pit. I was 20th in line, and ended up getting smashed and squeezed and pushed. It was terrible. In fact, they ended up breaking the doors at ON, and they had to call 911. It was madness, I tell you! We got the few things we needed there, checked out, and got our games (after a brief scare as I couldn't find my wristband...it came off when I took my gloves off, so it was in my pockets...thanks to Angie for having me check my gloves).

Then, off to Sears. I got there a little before 3:30. Sears was not too crazy, but I did sustain an injury there. I grabbed 2 Guitar Hero World Tour games (thought both were for the Wii). They were bound with some plastic wire alarm device, so I carried them around by those wires. Not a good idea...they cut off the circulation to my fingers, and even now as I type this, my left index finger is still numb...not sure if this will be a permanent injury or if feeling will eventually return. Hmmm...

Checked out at Sears and got almost everything I wanted. Like I said, I thought I had grabbed 2 Wii GH World Tours, but in fact, one was for the PS3, so I ended up w/ only 1 for the Wii. I also couldn't find the memory card mom wanted...

Then, off to Target. Target is always crazy. Karen was in line there to get a 40 inch TV, so I joined her. Target handles those people who wait in the parking lot well...they don't let those people in until everyone who waited in line has gone in. Kudos for Target...much less chaos and a much lower chance for a trampling injury. Got most of what we wanted at Target (aside from a few games and a $3 toaster). Nothing much happened at Target except me sneaking into line with some of the teachers and parents from St. Mary's. This probably saved me at least 45 minutes of waiting. Thanks so much for pretending that I actually belonged with you guys!

Then, off to Kohls. Here, I got everything on my list, but had to wait in line FOREVER, even though Karen was there with a friend, who got in line when they first got there. Kohls needs more checkout counters.

After Kohls, I went to a couple more stores, but they were all out of the stuff I wanted. That's okay though...those things were high on my list anyways. Then, we all met at Angie's to divvy up our goods, and tabulate how much everyone owed everyone else. I was home by 10:30. And in bed by 11!

Toby says this was my last Black Friday. I think I agree. The mob at ON, the injury at Sears, and the LONG LONG lines, along with no sleep the night before...too much. I think I'll try to do most of my BF shopping next year online, and maybe hit up a Walmart...We'll see!

2 comments:

AmandaPaige said...

I think you are crazy! See why I didnt want to help, I would have been a total bitch to be around if I had to put up with all of that nonsense!!

Travis Erwin said...

You people are crazy and yes I am including Jennifer in that group.