Monday, October 25, 2010

Here's Your Sign...

The priest at St. Mary's is always using the phrase "Here's your sign" in his homilies. And it is always nice when you do actually get signs from God that help direct you. However, I am somewhat illiterate when it comes to reading those signs from God...with one exception.

You see, my kids go to our church's school. Yes, it is a Catholic school and therefore we do have to pay for our children to attend. And yes, we do still have to pay our taxes to fund the public schools that we have opted out of. And yes, we do question whether or not we have made the right decision. After all, money doesn't grow on trees, and there are always other things we could easily find to spend that money on.

However, anytime I begin to doubt that we should be paying to send our kids to this school, I always get a very clear sign (one that even this illiterate can read) that we have, indeed, made the right decision. It is always refreshing and lifts that weight from the doubt off my shoulders. Last week, I was blessed with another one of those signs.

I was sitting in the office catching up on facebook and e-mails when Sadie walked in. She looked at me and said, "Mom, I know what the Epiclesis is."

I was floored. Sadie is 5 and is in kindergarten. I literally JUST learned this word in our Sunday school class a few weeks ago. And my 5 year old walks in and not only informs me that she knows what it is, but also pronounced it properly.

Just to be sure that she really KNEW what it was, I asked her to explain it to me. And she did. She did so using kindergarten language, but she knew!

I absolutely love watching my kids learn not only about the 3 R's, but also learning about our faith. I love that they are so excited about it. The joy and enthusiasm they have about God is inspiring. And, it let's me know, without a doubt, that they are indeed in the right place.

That was one of my many signs...

1 comment:

Travis Erwin said...

Yep, the school and church is responsible for converting even a heathen like me.