Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Future Saint

This year for Lent, we decided that in addition to each of us making individual sacrifices, we would also do something as a family. I have been wanting to learn more about the saints, so I used that to come up with our family Lenten sacrifice. So, every night after our prayers, we read about one saint from one of our Children's Book of Saints. This is perfect because it is written for kids so it doesn't go into all the details that I am not ready to explain to my kids yet (especially with the saints who were martyred for their chastity). Another great thing about these books is that each saint is just one page long, so it keeps my kids' attention fairly well. So far, we are doing pretty good with this routine.

So last night, we read about St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. Sadie requested for us to read about her last night because when she was in kindergarten, she dressed up as St. Elizabeth Ann Seton for the All Saints' Day mass (the kindergarten class does this each year and it is so stinking cute!). After we read the entry about her, Sadie had a few questions...

First, she asked "What does canonized mean?" I explained the process of beatification and canonization to her, and used Blessed Pope John Paul II and Blessed Mother Teresa as examples. I *think* she understood.

Next, she said, "So like when I get to be a saint, like what do you think I will be the saint of?"

I started to answer her by saying, "Well, they decide what you're the patron saint of..."

And before I could finish, she said, "I think I would be the saint of animals, like the girl version of St. Francis, because I love animals so much."

I absolutely love that she is planning to be a saint. When she was in kindergarten, she was sad that there wasn't a Saint Sadie for her to dress up as, and we told her that she could be the first. Hopefully she will keep that desire and strive to always live a holy life. Just one of the many great things about sending our kids to a Catholic school!!!

No comments: