Thursday, July 23, 2009

Professional Procrastinator

I have always been and will most likely always be a procrastinator. To date, I have never been late completing something, but there have been MANY MANY all-nighters. But hey, I am a night person, and I really think I do my best work after midnight, when the rest of the house is quite and I can be alone. I also work best under pressure. If I still have months to finish something, I always seem to be able to find something much more pressing to do (play on the computer, watch TV, spend time w/ family). Whoever said "Don't put off til tomorrow what you can do today" was obviously not very good at goofing off, or never had the internet, a blog, facebook, IM, e-mail, etc.

So now, I am beginning to feel the pressure from my latest project. I still have a month to complete it, but there is a lot to do. I am feeling that pressure so much so that I couldn't sleep last night as all the things I am working on (and trying to work out) were swimming through my brain, which for some reason, does not have a hibernate or snooze button. I was up until close to 4am lying in bed, thinking about how to make this pilot project I am in charge of for the fall work, and remembering all the things that I have to get done in the next few weeks.

So today, I have been productive. I have sent out the e-mails I needed to for dates from other instructors, filled out my tentative class calendar, and selected possible dates for the simulations I will need to do in the fall.

Here's the rest of the to do list:
  1. write objectives and scenarios for 4 new simulations
  2. work out the kinks for those sims
  3. record some lectures for online (probably 8 hours worth...who knows how many actual hours that will take...)
  4. sign-up for and preview the new case studies that are now required for my course
  5. review and update the required video list

I am sure that there are more things, but right now, I can't think of them. But now, I have a to do list started, and can look back at this to see what I have accomplished and what still needs to be done.

I'm sure you guys really don't care about my to do list, but maybe by putting it out here for everyone to see, it will keep me more on task. Feel free to nag me about my progress ;)

No comments: