Friday, July 9, 2010

Shoe Quest

So, thanks to the prodding of my sister, Angie, I attended the launch for Body Combat at the Town Club on June 19. I subsequently joined the Town Club and have been attending Combat and Step classes ever since. I go 3 to 4 times a week (and no, I don't think I've lost a single pound...but eventually, I have to, right???)

Anyways, for the past few years, one of the things that has been a deterrent of me working out has been that my feet cramp up shortly after beginning a workout. Very frustrating, and was usually the reason to end a session early. At the Combat launch, I had the same problem, but because it was in a gym full of people who were toughing it out, I couldn't bear the humiliation of quitting. So, I toughed it out. That's a huge benefit of me going to classes. Even when I'm tired or my feet hurt, I suck it up and keep going to spare my ego.

So, last week, I began looking for a better shoe, thinking that would help. First, I posted something on Facebook. I mean, come on...I know a lot of people. Maybe one of them had the answers I was looking for. The advice I got: "good running shoes" from one poster, and "New Balance 1220's" from another. A third suggested going to a local running store to have my gait analyzed.

Next, I hit google, searching for "running shoe reviews." Here, I found the Adidas Supernova Adapt, among many other shoes. Next, I hit the stores...

I started at Shoe Carnival. Not that this store is known for being a runner's store, but Toby also needed new sneakers, and I figured I'd cash in on their BOGO deal. When I get there, I find no Supernovas or NB 1220's. So, I bought a pair of very well priced Adidas and hoped that they'd come close to Supernovas.

I worked out in these new shoes a few times, and didn't have any worse cramping than before...maybe even a little better. But I was hoping for no cramping, so I broke down and went to the mall. After going to 4 athletic shoe stores there, I was appalled that each store sold at most 1 type of Adidas running shoes for women. And it was NOT the Supernova! UGH!

So, then I decided to head to the mom-and-pop gait analyzing running store. Bared my feet, rolled up my pants (so she could see my ankles???) and proceeded to walk and jog in the store while she gazed at my feet (and ankles???). Tried on a few shoes, and decided to splurge and get the Nike Pegasus. $40 more than my Shoe Carnival purchase, but hey, they're named after the winged horse and the Air Pegasus has been around long enough for this to be the 27th model. These shoes had to be good, right?

Wrong. I went to Combat tonight, and my feet cramped worse than they did the first time. Very painful, and very frustrating. All I want is a shoe that helps my feet feel better, not worse. How difficult is that? I shouldn't have to buy dozens of different shoes to find something that works.

So, now I'm torn. Do I order the Supernova's online, or do I stick it out with the Shoe Carnival pair? Any shoe experts out there, feel free to chime in!

1 comment:

amy said...

Hey! I found you! :) I hate to hear that about your shoes...but I have to say I'm not much happier about my Nike's either. I'm frustrated as well...I don't want to spend more money but I want shoes that help. What to do??? I don't know but I may be shopping soon too!