One of the things that parents have the privilege of doing is bragging about their kids. There is a delicate balance for what is considered an appropriate amount of bragging without being "one of *those* moms." I really do try to stay on the "normal" side of that balance, and do restrain myself from constantly bragging. Those of you reading this who really know me may be saying to yourself that I am actually tiptoeing far into the other side, but if you knew how often I kept my kids' amazing feats & accomplishments to myself, you'd know how hard I am trying to be normal.
But today, I am claiming those bragging rights that are mine as a mom. I'll start with Aaron, because he is the oldest.
Yesterday, after church, we decided to eat at Wendy's. When Aaron finished his root beer and wanted a refill, I told him to go get one. When he went up to ask for a refill, I overheard one of the cashiers make the following comment: "What good manners that kids has. I hope when I have kids, they act like that."
That comment made my day. My kids don't always act like little angels at home, or around family, but at least they do have some idea of how to act in public. And it is always nice to get unsolicited compliments like that. I know she wasn't just saying it to make me feel good. I wasn't even up at the counter. In fact, I was all the way across the dining area, so there is no way she thought I might be listening.
Now for Sadie's brag-time. A while back, we decided we wanted to start Sadie in piano lessons. Mid-November, we talked to the lady who teaches piano at Tarpleys, which is where Aaron take guitar lessons. We figured it would be really convenient if they both took lessons there, and we know we can eventually get their lessons at the same time. Unfortunately, she was all full, but we gave her my name and phone number. She said she sometimes has people drop after the new year, and if not, she said she always has openings in the summer.
So, we would wait. But, that day, Sadie was really excited about piano lessons, so I figured I'd show her the basics. I showed her middle C, and how to find it, and taught her about all the notes in an octave (A-G), and how to figure out which key was which note. We spent maybe 10 minutes (probably not even that long) with this, and I never mentioned it again, and Sadie never really sat down at the piano again, except to bang on it.
Then, Saturday we got a call from the lady at Tarpleys. She had an opening and wondered if Sadie would like it. So now, Sadie will start piano lessons this week :) Last night, I asked Sadie if she remembered where middle C was (this was to distract her from some whining...and the distraction worked). She walked over to the piano, and without hesitation, played middle C. I then asked her if she knew what the other keys were, and she named them all. Wow! This kid has quite a memory!
Both of my kids amaze me and make me proud of them. I know they are not perfect, but it is great to see them grow and to watch their talents emerge.
Okay...bragging session is now over. Thank you for letting me indulge myself here :)
Do Deer Eat Clover Lawns
2 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment