Sunday, August 19, 2012

Can Mommy Sleep With You?

So, I have this thing against spiders. Really, not all spiders...just the big ones. The ones who would have guts if you stepped on them. I just have a hard time getting the nerve the kill any creepy-crawly that will snap, crackle and pop on my shoe, or I guess actually under my shoe. Even with a fly swatter, I just can't do it. I will sit and stare at the spider with the swatter in ready position for ever trying to get up the nerve to actually do it. And yes, I do realize this issue is insane. I do know that I am much bigger and presumably smarter than the spider, but that doesn't matter. And it isn't true that the spider is more afraid of me than I am of it. Not possible. I'm getting a little panicky just typing about big spiders...

So, here at our house, the main spider we deal with is a wolf spider. And they can get pretty big. And, if it happens to be a mom, she carries all her millions of minion babies on her abdomen, so when you smash it, they run around all over the place. Usually I make Toby kill them, and I watch in terrified fear, and Sadie screams while Toby misses on purpose and lets the stinker run around for a few minutes.

The real problem is when Toby isn't here. Like last night. I saw one in my bedroom! I stared at it for a minute and looked around the room for options, knowing full well that even if I did have my shoes, I still would probably not be able to actually squash it. The kids were in bed, so I couldn't even make Aaron do it. Then, to my horror, the monstrous thing ran under my bed! UNDER MY BED! I still get queasy just thinking about it. Holy frijoles! How can I sleep, in the dark, with my eyes closed and everything, knowing that there is a ginormous spider plotting who knows what under my bed.

So, I went and crawled into Aaron's bed with him. (I couldn't sleep with Sadie because her cousin was staying with us and was sleeping her.) So, for all those nights of my kids sneaking into my bed, last night Aaron got to return the favor :)

1 comment:

amy said...

That is hilarious. Matt is the same way & probably would have packed up & headed to a hotel! I have to tell you sometime about the 1st (& only!) time I smashed a mamma wolf spider. We both flipped out on that one...hahaha!!!