Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Breakthrough?

So Aaron has been wanting to get to play a *new* game on the the computer. And by new, I mean new to him. He played it at his friend's house, and now thinks he needs to get to play it here too. As with most new video games, I told him I needed to research it first. Today, he finally made me sit down and do that research. Although I didn't find the type of reviews I was specifically wanting, I did find some resources and feel somewhat okay letting him try it. But with one condition.

I told him that if he wants to get to play this game, he has to behave. I gave him specific details of what I meant by "behave". He has to mind us, watch his attitude (he's getting to that point where he thinks his parents are totally ignorant of all things important), and be nice to his sister. Then, I hit him with the bomb. IF he can do that, he can start playing the game on Saturday.

GASP! "Saturday! WHY???  Why do I have to wait until SATURDAY? Why can't I play it tonight??????"

Keep in mind that it this is on Thursday night, less than 30 minutes before bed. So really, he has to go ONE WHOLE DAY, being nice to his sister. Wait ONE WHOLE DAY! What a mean mom I am, but finally, he agreed (not that he really had a choice).

After this, Sadie came into the room and said, "Mom, I will try to be nice to Aaron so he won't be mean to me so that he can get that game."

What a sweet little girl. First, she wants her brother to be happy and is willing to help him get what he wants. But most importantly, I think she is FINALLY starting to see that the way she treats Aaron affects how he treats her. Or at least I hope that's it. A mom can always dream, right?

No comments: