Monday, February 9, 2009

The Joys of Identity Theft

Last summer, our garage was broken into. Me being the naive, boon-docks girl that I am had always left my purse in my car, and my car unlocked. After all, it was safe in my garage. Who could possibly breech such an impenetrable security system like a remote controlled garage door? So, my wallet was stolen out of my purse, along with my checkbook. The $10 cash was left untouched. I guess it wasn't worth the criminals' time to bother with it.

Luckily, we called the credit card companies before they were used, and cancelled those cards. The credit card companies very graciously (and expeditiously) sent us new cards. They didn't want there to be any delay in our charging patterns.

The bad part...the part that has been a thorn in my side...ever since then has been the stolen ID and checkbook. There have been numerous hot checks written in my name. There were only 3 checks left in that checkbook. We put a stop payment on those and closed the account, so they naturally came back as hot checks. There have also been who knows how many fake checks have made with my name at the top, signed with my name (because some loser has my driver's license). And those come back as unpaid checks on me, too.

I have received and dealt with at least 3 different check recovery services, and even had a warrant out for my arrest in Randall county. Randall county was the easiest to deal with...just had to take a copy of the police report to them, and all was settled (I was skeptical to go there to provide the documents they wanted, being as there was a warrant issued, and I had through a metal detector to get to the office I needed to go to). However, TRS has been horrible to deal with. Them, and one other, seem to get their kicks from treating me like a criminal. I am sure that there are plenty of PopTarts out there who try to convince them that their hot check was forged or whatever, but I have actually sent in police reports and affidavits.

Today, I think I may actually see the light at the end of the tunnel for TRS. Seems that even though they have the police report and an Affidavit of Forgery, they need an ID Theft Affidavit. It seems that since it wasn't someone forging my name on one of my accounts, all the other paperwork I faxed in was not sufficient. So now, a 5 page affidavit, notarized, and faxed in...hopefully in a few weeks my record will be clean...

If I ever meet the Poptarts who stole my identity...or maybe any Poptart who steals from people. I don't even know if they deserve to be labeled as Poptarts. Perhaps I should borrow from Travis and wish a ravenous, rabid porcupine to make its way into their rectum...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

and that they get butt acne. it is painful or embarressing because you have to get someone to help you get it cleared up.

Rebecca said...

I forgot all about wishing butt acne on people. How could I forget about that :)

Travis Erwin said...

Feel free to use my ravenous porcupine anytime. Just bath it before you bring it back.