Sunday, February 1, 2009

update

It has been awhile since I last posted, and that is mainly due to the fact that there has been absolutely nothing going on in our lives lately. Okay, so not "nothing," but at least nothing has happened that I have felt like writing a post about. Just little snippets of life. Aside from Sadie's "Whoa-whoa cheeks" story (it's a good story, but I just can't post it to the world-wide web...ask me in person some time), nothing has seemed like it would make much of a post. So, today as the final hour ticks down before the kick-off of the big game, I figured I would post a few thoughts/happenings of late...

Lately, I have been noticing all the wonderful differences between my 2 children...the things that make them unique. Some of those traits I can definitely claim as having come from me, or my lineage. Sometimes I proudly claim those traits, while other times, I pretend that I have no idea where those kids get that from. It is incredibly neat to watch how their personalities and mannerisms develop.

I have been busy at work. Clinicals start up this week, so my weekends are about to be taken up with the mind-numbing task of grading care plans. For those of you who have never had the pleasure of doing a care plan for nursing clinicals, be very thankful. For those of you who know what a care plan is and exactly what it entails, imagine grading 10 of those each weekend. UGH! The only part of my job (aside from waking up early on Thursdays and Fridays for clinicals) that I don't like.

The kids are busy with school. Sadie has started gymnastics, and loves it, and Aaron continues to do well in guitar. Lately, Sadie has started telling us how smart she is. This comment by her is almost always followed by the following (or some similar) comment from Aaron: "Oh yeah? Then what's 5 + 9?" Sadie got tired of not being able to answer those math questions, so now she responds with "Well, I don't know my numbers." Then they argue about who's smarter. Lovely. I wonder who they get that competitive trait from? It couldn't be me...

Toby is still trudging away at the railroad. They laid off about 60 guys here. Luckily, Toby wasn't one of them. However, he can't hold an engineer job anymore, and is now working "on the ground" as a conductor. It's hard being a conductor this time of year because you spend a lot of the time outside of the engine, lining switching and what-not. Plus, he is working an evening shift, and usually doesn't get home until sometime between 9 and midnight...sometimes later. Oh well. At least he can still hold a job here in Amarillo.

That's about it for me for now. I have to go work on laundry a bit before the big game. Who are you rooting for? I have to say that after much consideration, I am rooting for the Cardinals. I just don't want the Steelers to be one-up on the Cowboys. Plus, the Cardinals are the NFC team, the underdogs, and they have never been to the Big Game...

2 comments:

That Janie Girl said...

Times are hard in Texas, definitely. People are getting laid off right and left in the oilpatch.

I myself am not exempt, it could definitely happen to me.

Glad your hubby has his job!

Unknown said...

someone told me that amarillo is not in a recession. it did take a while for it to hit us, but it is here. i really would like to know what rock he has been living under so i can join him in his denia.