Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Here Comes Lent!

Happy Ash Wednesday to everybody! And with Ash Wednesday comes the beginning of Lent. As I have grown up (at least a little) over the last 30 some-odd years, I am finally beginning to view Lent differently. Instead of dreading Lent as a time of giving up something near and dear to me (and as a time of being forced to eat fish), I am now seeing it as a time for a cleanse. Instead of a body cleanse where I starve myself and only eat certain things that will detox my body and clean things out, I will be working on a spiritual cleanse. And boy, do I need one. It won't be easy for me, but I guess that's the point. Hopefully on Easter, I will find myself renewed and rejoicing!

So, what am I giving up? Well, any of you who are my Facebook buddies already know...I will be giving up FB and several other computer time wasters that I have grown so fond of. And not only will I give these things up, but will not pick up any other time-wasting habits to take their place. That means that I am vowing to be more productive during Lent...to get my grading done in a more timely manner and to do a better job of keeping my house clean and spending quality time with my kids. Sounds like a good plan. Feel free to keep me accountable...I'll need all the help I can get...

Yesterday, we asked the kids what they were giving up for Lent. Aaron very quickly replied that he was not going to fight with Sadie anymore. Music to my ears...I hope he is successful in keeping his Lenten commitment! When we asked Sadie, she very emphatically stated "NOTHING!" Can you tell this is new to her? After explaining what "give up" means, and also letting her know that she could say more prayers or something instead of giving something up, she thought for just a few moments. Then she informed us that she would give up watching her Barbie and the 3 Musketeers movie. I was shocked! Those of you who know Sadie know that this is her favorite movie. She watches the movie at least 3 times a week and knows all the lines and songs. I reminded her that this meant she couldn't watch it until Easter, and she said she knew that. I am so proud of her for making such a sacrifice!

As for Toby...I don't know what he's doing for Lent. Last year, he never would tell me and I wonder if he'll tell me this year...As of yesterday, he said he hadn't decided. We'll see...

No comments: