Sunday, December 21, 2008

27 Year Ago

27 years ago today was the last day of school before Christmas break of my kindergarten year.

27 years ago today, my Grandma Lucy invited me to go with her, her sister (Aunt Bertha) and her mom (Great Grandma) to Panhandle for some shopping.

27 years ago today, I begged and begged my mom to go with them, and I threw a fit when she said no.

27 years ago today, in the evening, I got mad at my dad when he interrupted a game of Payday that I was playing with my older brother and sister, and he made us go into the den.

27 years ago today, we sat in the dark as dad explained to us that Grandma Lucy, Aunt Bertha, Great Grandma, and Robert (Aunt Bertha's grandson) had been hit by a truck on their way home from Panhandle. Robert survived.

27 years ago today, I survived because my mom told me no.

4 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

Wow. That must be a strange sensation.

Jennifer said...

Good post, Rebecca.

That Janie Girl said...

Wow.

That's rough.

Sorry for your losses - but I'm glad you're still with us!

Unknown said...

strange how a no can be such a blessing for you. i am sure it was a blessing for your parents in such a horrible time.