Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Power of Words

I was thinking the other night about words...and how powerful or worthless they can be. We have all encouraged our kids to believe that "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but WORDS can never hurt me." However, we all know just how devasting words can be. And it seems that words have the greatest potential to wound when they are thrown out without thinking...taking the detour that allows them to pass straight from the brain to the lips, without passing the toll booth known as "the filter."

Words can also be powerful in good ways. Words, sometimes by themselves and sometimes when strung together properly, can make a person's day. Phrases like "I love you." "I'm sorry." "You're a blessing." "Thank you." These phrases are most powerful when they are thought about and have real meaning, real conviction behind them.

And then, those same exact words can be meaningless. They can be uttered without thought. Just a rote reply. The "I'm sorry" uttered because your mom made you. Or the "I promise" that has been broken so many times, you no longer have hope or trust.

I think that words have a tremendous power, and we have a tremendous responsibility in how we use them. Hopefully, I can take this thought and keep it close, and possibly block that detour that words so often take on their way out of my mind...

No comments: