Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Heart Stopper

We just had one of the most heart-stopping moments we have ever had. Sadie had been outside playing with a neighbor, had come inside to get a bandaid, and headed back outside. I finished up what I was doing, and then followed her out (I went out less than 5 minutes after her). I didn't see her or her friend out in the neighbor's front yard, but saw the gate to the back yard open and assumed she was in there. I walked over, called out her name, and the neighbor girl came out of the backyard and said that Sadie had gone home.

I called Toby's cell to have him check our backyard, thinking maybe she had gone there instead, and nope...our back door was locked. I began to think of all the things that could have happened in those few minutes she was outside by herself. I began walking the neighborhood, looking, and heading down to one of her other friend's houses. Aaron caught up with me, so I sent him to another neighbor's house to knock and see if she was there. I knocked on the other neighbor's door and asked if she was there. The answer for both of us was no. By this time, 4 neighbors were out looking with us, up and down alleys, in side yards, and Aaron was crying, worried that we might not find her (just goes to show you that he really does love her). I walked back to the house to look in the garage and check the house (all the nooks and crannies) more closely. Still, couldn't find her.

When I walked back outside, the little girl Sadie was suppose to be playing with ran up and told me they found her. Turns out she had rang the doorbell at the neighbor's house and when no one answered, she just let herself in and went to her friend's room and started playing with her toys. So when Toby had knocked on that door, the dad said that he hadn't seen Sadie.

So, after what felt like hours of panic mode (probably less than 10 minutes), everything ended up okay. Sadie, of course, got a stern reminder that she is not to go into any one's house or backyard without asking me or Toby first. Maybe in a few hours, my heart rate will be back to normal...

1 comment:

Marie said...

I cannot even imagine...thank goodness everything turned out OK. Give Sadie a thankful hug from me!!!