I have posted before about my kids' differences. I love those things that make them unique. They keep me guessing and smiling. Over the past 2 nights, yet another difference between them was highlighted.
Two nights ago, both kids wanted to sleep in my room, on the floor. I told them that when I went to bed, I'd wake them up so they could come sleep in my room. Here's how waking Aaron up from a dead sleep went:
I begin by pulling on his arms to get him into a sitting position. He pulls back, trying to lay back down. I have learned that you can't let him lay back down, or you start from square one again. So, I kept pulling. This struggle lasted a good 30 seconds, but he finally gave up. Then, the conversation started.
He began pointing to his left wrist with his right index finger, mumbling "I want this and this and this and this and this..."
Because I am always looking for cheap entertainment, I begin asking him questions, trying to keep him talking so that I can have a good laugh (great parenting, huh?). So I ask him what he will do with all those if he gets them. To which he answers by pointing his finger to his left elbow and drawing a line up his forearm to wrist, making a sound like a missile dropping.
I then help him to his feet and ask him if he still wants to sleep in my bedroom. He stops, and looks me straight in the face, and asks "Did Sadie find her leg?"
That was all I could handle, so I tucked him into the pallet I had made for him and kissed him goodnight.
Aaron and I have had a great many humorous conversations late in the night, especially back when I had to wake him up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. My favorite story involving these nights was the time he went into the kitchen instead of the bathroom, raised the lid on the trashcan, and pulled down the front of his undies. That's when I walked in and stopped him. When I asked him what he was doing, he said "Going potty." Because he was out of it, I knew arguing with him would work, so I simply told him that this potty wasn't working and that he'd have to use the other one. I then walked him to the other one so that there would be any other confusions...
Now, Sadie, on the other hand, is completely coherent when she is woken in the middle of the night. When I woke her to take her into my bedroom 2 nights ago, she simply said, "Love you mom." When I asked if she still wanted to sleep in my room and she smiled and said yes.
Then, last night, I woke her to make her go to the bathroom, and all she did was wrap her arms around my neck and her legs around my waist as I carried her off to the bathroom. She did her business, told me when she was done, flushed, and went back to bed.
I love both types of experiences. I love their differences. I love them :)
Do Deer Eat Clover Lawns
2 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment