Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Does coffee count as breakfast?

I'm not a morning person. I never have been. I have never awaken from my night's slumber feeling excited to get out of bed. Instead, I want 5 more minutes of PEACEFUL sleep, or 30 more minutes, or a few more hours. Everyday. There has never been an exception to that rule. One thing that confirms that it's my body that makes me be a non-morning person is that I am never in the mood for breakfast until I have been awake for at least an hour. This tells me that my entire body is wired for more sleep, even my GI system.

So, as a nurse, I am very well aware of the fact that eating a good, nutritious breakfast is loaded with health benefits, from weight loss to better attention. However, it is difficult to eat a good, nutritious breakfast when it takes that hour wait before anything even sounds good. And I know what some of you *bright-and-cheerful-morning* people are thinking...just wake up an hour earlier and then you'll have plenty of time to eat before heading out for the day. To that, I say "Bite me, Poptart!" Did you not read the first paragraph? I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON! I treat every single moment of sleep I can possibly get like a person stranded in the desert treats each and every drop of water in her canteen. Those few extra moments of shut-eye are life-sustaining, and no matter what, there are never enough of them.

Last night, I told Toby that I wished I could hibernate for the winter, like a bear. I think if I ever win the lottery, I may just try that and see how well it works out for me. I might just set a new trend. Who knows...it may have health benefits!

So, my question for everybody...does coffee count as breakfast? I load mine up with half a cow's worth of creamer, so I am definitely getting my share of dairy, and that is probably a part of a *good* nutritional breakfast...


...except the fact that most days, I use non-dairy creamer.

2 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

Bit me Poptart!

That line alone made this a great post, but I also happen to agree with the rest of your thoughts on mornings.

Unknown said...

amen sister. preach on. i too hate mornings. as mentioned in my first 30 years and late for church posts. if i ran the world the day would start about noon.