Sunday, January 11, 2009

The End

For those of you not in my family, my Grandma passed away on Wednesday, January 7. Thank you to all of you who have expressed your sympathy. It was a peaceful death, which was my wish, and she wasn't alone, which was her wish. She had also told my aunt that she didn't want to die during the Holidays because she didn't want to inconvenience anyone, but the day after would be fine with her. January 6th was the official end to the Christmas season in the Catholic church (it was the Epiphany). So again, she got her wish there, too.

As I sat with her late into the night on the 6th, I couldn't help but wonder what must be going on with her. I watched her lay there breathing, surrounded by family, and knew she would not belong to this world much longer. She had slipped into a coma earlier that day, her last words being spoken around lunch. My mind kept running through the song "I Can Only Imagine" and I wondered if she was already seeing Jesus. Here is how I imagined that meeting going:

Grandma was in darkness, but could see a light. She made her way toward the light, but then paused when she arrived at that point where the light met the darkness. I know she didn't hesitate out of fear of dying. She had been ready to die for a while. But she did pause, and look back.

"Come Home, Louise," she heard her Savior say.

"But who will tend my garden?" Grandma asked.

"Look at this garden you have planted and toiled over. See here the 5 seeds you planted, and they have bloomed and been fruitful. These plants in this garden of yours have had to endure the bitterness of winter and the pain of drought. They have rejoiced through many springs and summers. And through it all, you have tended your garden, sustaining it with water and protecting it by weeding. Your diligent work has made a beautifully strong and fruitful garden. Your work here is done; your garden is now self-sustaining. You have earned your rest. Come Home."

And then Grandma took one final look back, and saw that what Jesus had said was true. Although the garden will definitely miss her, she could see that her garden could survive without her. And as Grandma entered Heaven, Jesus told her that many family members and friends were waiting to greet her.

"Are you ready to be reunited with your loved ones?" He asked.

"Yes, but can I first see a copy of the rules? I have a message to deliver, if it is permitted."

I love you Grandma! You were a great example of a Christian Mother, and I know I have big shoes to fill. Please watch over guide me. You will be missed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

love this post. it made me cry and laugh. i hope that it is just like you pictured it.