Last night, I was invited to join my aunts and cousins for supper. The co-workers of Aunt Evelyn graciously provided a wonderful meal, and I am glad and grateful that they thought to invite me and the kids. While we were there, the oldest cousin and the youngest cousin began talking about how they were the Alpha and Omega grandchildren of Grandma. I told them that I was the 11th grandchild, and we quickly figured that Tara was the 14th. I wondered out load how many Greek letters there where, and which letter I would be. Uncle Alan, who was in a fraternity at Texas Tech back in the day, began reciting and counting the Greek alphabet, and there were 24 letters. The Omega grandchild quickly pointed out that although there were only 23 living grandchildren, that there was one baby born still, so Grandma actually did have 24 grandchildren. That led to all of us figuring out our Greek letter. Including the King baby, I was actually the 12 grandchild (right smack in the middle), Tara was the 15th, and Adam was the 22. That makes me the Greek letter Mu. Mu is okay...not one of my favorite Greek letters. If I could pick, I'd probably pick pi, but Mu is still an important symbol in math and physics.
So, today I looked on Wikipedia to learn more about the Greek letter Mu. Here is what I found interesting:
This is what the lowercase Mu looks like (the uppercase looks just like an uppercase M, so it is rarely used)...μ
Mu is the water symbol and has a value of 40.
It often appears with Alpha and Omega to signify the beginning (Alpha), the middle (Mu), and the end (Omega).
Mu is used in mathematics as the symbol for the population mean or expected value and in physics as the symbol for the coefficient of friction and the reduced mass of two bodies.
In pharmacology, Mu is an important opioid receptor.
So, I am Mu. On a side note, Tara was very excited to find out that she is Omicron. Here is what Omicron looks like: uppercase Ο, lowercase ο
Do Deer Eat Clover Lawns
2 years ago
1 comment:
I wanted to stop by and say thank you for all you and Toby have done to help my family. Without such good, caring friends this whole ordeal would have been much tougher.
I am sorry to read about your grandma and I am praying that she is not in pain as she prepares to be reunited with with those that went before her.
Post a Comment