Okay, I know that this post is going to reveal (even further) exactly how off I am, but I was so pumped that I had to write about it.
Last night, my brother called me. It was a little late (around 9...) so I was suspicious of why he was calling. "What's wrong now" was running through my head. My brother asks what I'm doing, and when I tell him that I am going over my lecture notes for class the next day, he says, "Good, then you have a pen and paper handy." I didn't, but went a grabbed them. He then said the words that brought a smile to my face...
"Cody has an Algebra problem." He commented that even though he was the original math guru of the family, it had been too long since he had utilized those skills, so he was deferring to me, guru #2. I hoped that my own skills hadn't gotten rusty...haven't taught math in almost 7 years, and the last 2 years of teaching, I taught Geometry, not Algebra.
"Lay it on me," I said.
"It's a system of equations, and the instructions say to solve using elimination. Here are the 2 equations:
3X + 4Y = 18
-2X + 4Y = -7"
Mike knew what to do...he just doubted himself because the answer he got for Y didn't seem right. But he was right. And I got to work an Algebra problem and help him and my nephew.
Thanks, Mike! You put a smile on my face :)
Do Deer Eat Clover Lawns
2 years ago
5 comments:
Oddly this putting a smile on your face makes more sense to me than you infatuation with back Friday.
Thanks for your help. Once I heard from Cody last night that he was having a hard time catching up from his missed school days during the first week of school, I explained to him that he had 2 math experts in the family to call on for help! So, thanks for helping Mike help Cody last night. I'm glad to hear that Mike still has his math skills, but it's nice to know that we have a back-up just in case! :)
That's awesome!!
(Love the song on your blog!)
I hate to break this to you and Mike, but the original family math 'guru' -- not a chance.
You're forgetting about your Aunt Cindy. :)
And then there was your Uncle Dickie.
But if you want to really be accurate, the original math guru was your Grandma. :)
Okay, okay. I admit it...you are correct, Cindy. Man, I just keep movin on down the line. Anyone else I'm behind??? Thanks for reading my blog, and for posting :)
Post a Comment